Old 02-27-09, 02:01 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
11 miles, 4 of which is gravel, which can vary between "not too bad" and "horrendous" depending on season. Right now, and up until the last of the frost has melted out of the ground and the road re-graded, it's tending towards horrendous. The rest is acceptable, fairly smooth pavement except for a spot where they're rebuilding a bridge, and if I have to detour for one reason or another, it generally means another couple miles of gravel.

700c x 32 summer, 35 studded winter. My commute destroyed the stock rear tire on my bike within a couple of months (20 broken spokes over that time) and I then bought a tough rim and DT butted spokes, built my first wheel, and didn't have any trouble after that. The potholes finally broke my rear axle a few months back (freewheel = weak axle) and I bought a new rear wheel with a freehub. That's holding up perfectly.

The front wheel ran stock for about 13000 miles IIRC, then in fall of 2007 I built a new front wheel around a disc brake hub - front discs are very nice in the winter with the crap on the roads.