Old 02-27-09, 08:15 PM
spanky1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
I'm about to buy a new road bike and at this point I've narrowed it down to a Trek Madone 5.5 and a Felt Z25. Both have a 50/34T crankset. Obviously I run the potential of spinning out on the downhills, but have an easier gear on steep uphills. I'll be riding in a number of group charity rides this summer including one that I will be one of several thousand riders.

I'm wondering if having a 50/34T crankset is a help or hinderance during this kind of riding? If I'm by myself riding I don't mind spinning out so much, but I'm wondering if I'd be better servered getting a 53/39T crankset. My current Felt F80 is a triple crankset, so this will be my first double.
I ride a Felt Z25. The 11/25 cassette and 50/34 crank work for me. I'm 51 years of age. I dropped 40 pounds and completed my first century ride in October of 2008. I climb on the the smaller ring and largest rear cog. My goal is to maintain a high cadence. The Compact crank is perfect for weekend warriors and Old Guys trying to stay young. :Good Luck: