Old 03-01-09, 11:40 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw View Post
It looks like that stove will work well! I don't stealth camp, so I won't comment on that but i will address the wood fire soot issue. All of these type of wood burners create a lot of soot on the burner and your pots, no problem really just find a way to isolate them from the rest of your pack. I would think outside your panniers or trailer bag in their own bag or box, bungee corded down. May need to be something waterproof / resistant so that a rain will not wash all that soot all over the outside of your stuff. If you can isolate your cooking gear this way, there would be no need to clean the soot off each time.
Coat the outside of the pot with liquid dish detergent and allow to dry...the soot will wash right off when the time comes (old boy scout trick )

Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
The Kelly Kettle uses wood fuel but it only boils water, it isnt a general purpose stove. It is a bit bulky for cycle camping but an interesting thing to know about. A review here.
I drag a kelly kettle around with me on my rambles on my Raleigh Superbe it works great in my part of the country for a quick brew up of hot tea on a chilly day.

Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Stealth camp, and then stop at the first park you see for cooking at a picnic table.....
Yep...that is the way I do it, I may not even wait for the first park...just get on the road then find a convenient place. I have gone as far as a few hundred feet to an over pass and set up to take my morning break under it out of the weather

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon