View Single Post
Old 03-08-09, 07:26 PM
breakaway9
Fred Wannabe

Bikes: 2008 Rocky Mountain - Sherpa 30 ** 1990 Diamondback - Apex ** 199? Fixed Gear Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
Without a car, how do you plan to get to work? And if there's a place that's a two to four drive from home, how will you get there?

For most of us, giving up our car is not an option. In Europe, you don't really need one but here in America you do.
Gotcha, I see what you are saying... I ride my bike slow, sleet or rain anyway, and I have the flexibility to work from home if I really need to. I have driven my car to work twice since the beginning of January, and both times were to meet someone who answered my ad to sell the car. I sold my car since I didn't drive it (and I don't even want to see what would happen to my insurance rates since I have two kids turning sixteen at the beginning of this summer)... I still have an old VW Van that I use to go hunting, fishing and taking the dog to the dog park (until I get a dog trailer anyway). And my wife still has a minivan, so she can transport the kids and go to work. I have just decided personally that I am going do every activity I possibly can on my bike rather than in a car. Obviously traveling a hundred miles by bike, shooting a 500+ lb elk and transporting it home by bicycle is not really going to work out well, so I will keep my van for stuff like that. But day to day things I am much better off mentally and physically doing these things by bicycle...

Last edited by breakaway9; 03-08-09 at 07:34 PM.