Old 03-09-09, 12:26 PM
sac02
i ride a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Explore different techniques. There are several.
One technique question I have at the moment is about standing. If I'm tired on a climb, I will often find my standing pedal stroke getting very jerky - my leg will just "fall" to the bottom of the stroke, and then I will pick it straight up to the top, like I'm only moving my feet up and down like climbing stairs instead of in circles. When I realize what's happening, one way I've found to counter it is to kind of "squat" a little lower over my saddle instead of maintaining my full upright normal climbing position. Would anyone care to comment on this particular strategy?

Originally Posted by MONGO!
Climbing has a lot to do with goof technique and knowing how to pace yourself, don't hit the foot of the hill too hard.
Do you blow up on climbs?
If you have the power pshing a bigger gear will keep your heart rate in check, it may feel unnatural and feel illogical while you're mashing but for me, pushing a big gear and pulling all around the pedal stroke gets me up the hills faster and with less chance of blowing up.
No, not really - I'm just slow all the way up. For example, on the finishing climb Saturday I let the two guys I was riding with go with only about 30 seconds into the climb, I know if I had tried to stay with them at the pace they were already going, I would have blown up badly 30 seconds later.

Originally Posted by procrit
3-5 reps of 5 minute intervals, as hard as you can, without completely blowing up. Rest 5 minutes between each interval. Great for short fast Texas hills.

...Description of McMountain workout...

This will build your vo2 max power, and decrease recovery time. You may even contemplate skipping the Tuesday ride for a while and do these instead. You can always get in some longer rides on Thursday and Saturday if you want distance.
That sounds like a really good workout that I could do fairly easily. I was thinking of possibilities like driving out to Roans Prairie and doing repeats of the Three Sisters; I totally forgot about McMountain closer to home. When and how long was your stay in BCS?

Mac

Last edited by sac02; 03-09-09 at 12:32 PM.