Old 03-10-09, 03:56 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by jbpence
going to Dali soon, I see that that is north of Dali. hat would make a first good short tour. (taking train from kunming, I've heard they take bicycles, but will check out how that works first.

regarding bikes at the gorge, understand there is hiking into the gorge there - is this a MTB trail ride? can a cyclocross bike make it?

also - the road from Lijian City - heard this is tight, twisty, narrow steep and busy. whats your opinion of biking on this road?
We hiked the gorge, staying at Seans place in the middle (famous one armed guy, aussie wife runs the Gorged Tiger Cafe, might be ex wife now, he knocked up one of the maids). There were some steep drops and tight trails, I'd stick to the road if on two wheels!

From memory there were several organised tours on the road north of Dali (lycra wearing fully supported riders). We bussed up to Zhongdian and then down to the far end of the gorge, walked three days through the gorge. Its stunning.

Yeah I think there were some rough bits into Lijang. A cross bike should be fine.

Lijang and Dali are both good value but tourist traps, make sure you get around the countryside to see something more authentic. I hired a MTB in Dali for a day, good fun.

At our hotel in Kunming there were tourists arriving with bike boxes all the time.