Thread: TA cranks
View Single Post
Old 03-10-09, 02:28 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
I'm assuming that the bottom bracket is French
Probably French .. 35 X 1, both cups right-hand thread. The cup should be stamped on the outside so all you'd have to do is pull a crank arm to see.

The front brakes (Linear pull) squeal a ton. No amount of toe in, rim cleaning, or pad changing (currently Kool Stop black) seems to fix the issue.
A brake stiffener solved our similar problem. 35+ years of adjusting brakes, and this one I just couldn't get to shut up until I used the stiffener.

Both chromed steel (1") seatposts show slight pinch marks from being overtightened as well. Despite this obvious over tightening, they still slip.
Ho boy. The French often, (but not always!), used a 26.4 post, and 1" is 25.4. So ... here's my best guess, as we used to see this happen all the time. Guy buys a French bike second hand. Tries to raise or lower the seat, but the original mechanic/assembler/owner didn't believe in grease, so it's stuck. Seat post(s) are destroyed in the process of getting them out, so he stops by the LBS to get another. LBS, (circa 1976), is a Schwinn or JC Higgins dealer and knows nothing about French bikes, so sells him 1" posts. Guy takes it home, sticks it in, tightens it up real snug, but it slips. Sometimes the gap in the seat cluster is touching, so he files that out a tad and tightens some more. Now he's actually crimping the post, but it still won't hold!

The reason is the post is too small, and is ONLY making contact with, and being held by, the seat cluster at the very top.

A quick test is to take the seatpost bolt out, and see if the gap in the back of the seat cluster is even. If it's dramatically closer at the top than it is at the bottom, (or if it looks like it's been filed out up top), then you're probably running the wrong size post.

If that's what you see, then get that Craftsman screwdriver out that you usually use when a pry bar isn't handy, and gently pry/drive it down into the gap until it's roughly even again. Now try your steel seatposts and see how they fit. You'll usually find they are loose all the way down ... in other words, under-sized.

As to the correct size if this turns out to be the case, please don't take my word for the 26.4. Once the seat cluster gap is back to correct, take it to a bike shop and have them check it.

LeJeunes were sweet bikes for the money in their day. Have fun with it!

P.S. I just love it when someone asks questions from back when my brain was young!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike