Old 03-11-09, 04:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 254 Posts
Oren,

Welcome to C&V! Before re-painting, let me advise you that Schwinn paint from the '60s & '70s can be brought back to life in ways that many other bike finishes from that same period cannot. Use Scratch-X, as mkeller mentions, just go light over the decals. and then follow this cleaning with good automotive wax & polish.

As evidence, let me show you a '73 Varsity I found at the dump a while back. As found, very crusty and cruddy.

But by using Scratch-X and Megauirs 3 Step system, I brought it back to a really acceptable look. It still has it's scratches and and scrapes, but the paint still looks factory fresh. Use bronze wool on the chrome, and Blue Magic on the aluminum brake calipers and levers. Try this approach before striping the original paint and spraying your Dad's old Varsity.

(Ignore the single speed set up and the big chainring. The varsity is once again geared and living with a very happy 16 year old from my church.)

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com