Old 03-11-09, 10:28 AM
NeroG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
Oren,

Welcome to C&V! Before re-painting, let me advise you that Schwinn paint from the '60s & '70s can be brought back to life in ways that many other bike finishes from that same period cannot. Use Scratch-X, as mkeller mentions, just go light over the decals. and then follow this cleaning with good automotive wax & polish.

As evidence, let me show you a '73 Varsity I found at the dump a while back. As found, very crusty and cruddy.

But by using Scratch-X and Megauirs 3 Step system, I brought it back to a really acceptable look. It still has it's scratches and and scrapes, but the paint still looks factory fresh. Use bronze wool on the chrome, and Blue Magic on the aluminum brake calipers and levers. Try this approach before striping the original paint and spraying your Dad's old Varsity.

(Ignore the single speed set up and the big chainring. The varsity is once again geared and living with a very happy 16 year old from my church.)

Unfortunately I do not like the sunflower yellow paint job that the bike has, however I was hoping to repaint the bike but somehow save the original decals. This would be a lot to describe easier if I already had pictures up, one side of the bike was against a wall which was protecting the finish on one side from sun damage, however the other is very badly faded and the decal is almost gone except for a mildly dark shadow, so what I'm trying to establish is that the finish might be too far gone.

The yellow "bike tape" on the handle bars had faded and turned a pale sun damaged white, so I removed it.

Which leads me to my next question, why did Schwinn decide to chrome the handle bars if their intention was to cover it with tape?