Old 03-14-09, 07:06 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
When I'm riding a bicycle or motorcycle, I know two things with absolute certainty: 1) car drivers are stupid, and 2) motorcycles and bicycles are invisible to the average car driver.

Knowing these things, I assume that it is my responsibility to prevents accidents... even if, legally, I am not required to do so. I'm always amused when my riding buddies start to rant about cars blowing stop signs, turning left in front of them, forcing them off the road, etc. I expect this type of behavior as a natural part of riding, I ride accordingly, and (knock on wood) I rarely have close calls with cars...
It depends on where you ride too, in areas where bicycles are not expected, drivers do not see them, seemingly even if the bicycle is towing a large road sign that is flashing "CAUTION BICYCLE AHEAD" alternating in red, green, blue and amber lights. However in places where bicycles are expected, like around universities, they suddenly become visible....

If you take a defensive driving course, one of the first things they teach you, is to assume the other guy, given the opportunity is going to do something stupid. I find this applies equally if you driving a 100 tonne truck or a 10kg bicycle.