Old 03-16-09, 12:26 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Campagnolo Long Reach Brake Levers

How do you identify them?

Bicycle Classics claims they were made up until about 1973... when did they switch from the circular cable insertion hole to the "U"? 1973? Also aren't the shields really close to the top of the blade? When were the first factory super record levers introduced?

Why?

I am pretty sure this ebay seller is trying to pull the wool over prospective buyer... I'll never understand why people try to do this as all the bike nuts I know pound the details out of everything so I expect most would see right through it.

Here is the ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Problems I see.

1. Seller claims these are drilled nuovo record levers but the holes are clearly later super record style distorted in the bend because they were forged like that and then bent to shape. I could stop there as that is enough evidence to dismiss the ad.

2. you can see the slight "cut away" on the back of the body of ONE lever to alloy a smoother transition to the bar as it would allow you to "suck" the lever in closer as the clamp fit into this cut-away.. clearly a later addition though I don't know when.

3. Every campagnolo lever that came from the factory was anodized unless I am unaware of some extremely rare first production run levers. The seller has obviously polished them (though he tires to make light of how shiny they are, mentioning they are polished and "still" shine) and he neglects to indicate that.

4. He appears to know something about vintage campagnolo but neglects to point out the most easily identifiable features of the early levers, like the circle versus "U" and position of shield.

5. I don't believe that the early levers came with washers on the clamps... though I still have to scrutinize the catalogs to confirm that.

What say ye? I may still bid because they look pretty nice but I won't go too high, though I fear those attracted to the shine might bid them up.

Last edited by cyclotoine; 03-16-09 at 12:31 AM.