Old 03-16-09, 07:38 AM
michaelalanjone

Bikes: Giant OCR-1, Schwinn Rocket Pro, Dahon Jack, a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Whoo hoo! A free GPS logger for BlackBerry phones

I have waited a long time for this. I just downloaded a free BlackBerry app for my BB Bold, that logs your route, as you ride along. No more need for a separate GPS unit to do this. Basically, the only reason I had a handlebar-mounted GPS was to track/record my trails and road rides, so that I could map them on Google Earth.

All you do is install it, go to your riding place, and then start the app, then do "Start Recording". When you are done, you just do "Stop Recording", and it will create a GPX or KML file for you. Then you upload that file to Google Earth, and you can see an overlay of where you rode. This would also work for runners, but I am not going to tell them, because then they will start running on "my" trails. Just kidding.

Paranoid? This is not a people tracking app, it only records when you tell it to.

I don't know which BlackBerries actually have integrated GPS, but the website says that it has been tested on 8100, 8310, 8800, 8820, 9000 & 9500 models. I already carry my BlackBerry when I ride anyway, to call my mommy and tell her to come get me --no, in case I need to call my wife and tell her that I have broken my leg, on a trail, and to either call EMS or the life insurance agent, her choice.

http://bb.emacf1.com/gpslogger.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GPSLoggerScreen.JPG (7.9 KB, 21 views)