Old 01-20-05, 10:13 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by s.c. rox!
yeah this is the the thread that was accidentaly put in the introductions section. Well anyway I am thinking of getting a santa cruz blur and am debating which rear shock I should get. Fifth element air or fox float R? I know that the 'leaking damping fluid' from the fifth is in fact a greese that progressive puts in their shocks when they build them . The progressive has control valve damping and a large air can, perfect for the blur's VPP system, but the air only came out a few years ago, and floats have been around for much longer. weight is definatly an issue . thanx!
I happen to own a blur (bought in late summer of 2003) with the 5th Element shock. However, I put some time on another blur with a Fox shock. The Fox shock I ran wasn't of the current platform variety, and it was quite plush in relation to the 5th element - it was also nearly 1/4 lb heavier. Also, my 5th element started losing air after a couple of rides. I had it sent back for a rebuild, and it's been stout ever since. The 5th Element performs very well, and is certainly more efficient than the more plush Fox. However, as stated, the Fox I ran was not of the Pro-Pedal variety.

The new Fox shock is supposed to be actually lighter than the 5th element. While I've had no further problems with the 5th Element, if I had to do it over today, I'd chose the new Fox shock. Fox just has such great quality in my opinion. I now fun Fox forx on all of my mtbs.

Good luck on your decision!