Old 03-21-09, 02:04 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Road frames are generally designed to be stable and maneuverable without any added weight on the handlebars, beyond a light and computer and such. Long-distance riders often want to put a handlebar bag on, to be able to reach a map, a munchie, warm gloves, or what-not without stopping. Doing this can make a bike shimmy. To design a bike for this purpose, the fork needs more rake, which creates less trail, and reduces this tendency.

Road Fan
I'm sorry Road Fan but this statement is not necessarily correct. It may be correct if your hauling 50 pounds on a handlebar bag! But my front bag loaded only weighs 12 pounds, and that may be an over estimate. My Trek 660 is pure racing with a short rake on the fork and the rear is so tight I have to deflate the tire and flatten it against the seat tube to get it off! I have NEVER experienced any shimmy and can easily reach or stuff with out stopping, but doing so, like text messaging while driving, could cause one to swerve which could be hazardous to one's health.

10 to maybe even 15 pounds on a handlebar is nothing for a bike to handle.