Old 03-23-09, 10:22 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrischad
I'm pretty new to mountain biking, really got into it last season, and I'm learning quickly (thanks Dave!)
but the downside to the learning curve is the damage I'm doing to myself. I rode for the first time clipped in on Sunday and just beat myself up pretty badly. My elbows are a little bloodied and all my pointy jointed parts are feeling not so happy with the all too frequent fallovers.
I'm trying to find a way to mitigate my damage on a budget.
I'm looking for elbow, hip, and knee pads that won't break the bank and will be comfortable to ride in. I'm not looking for full protection, but at least something between me and the dirt (other than cotton!). it looks like I can get some good deals on "Paintball" pads, and other such, but don't want to sweat my face off trying to huff it on a climb.
I'm loving the sport, but find a mixed reaction after a hard ride "That was a great" and "That hurt in a not great way"

My wife is also starting to notice the damage to my joints, and that makes for not fun conversations about risk Vs Fun. That is why I had to give up motorcycles, and I don't want another joy to suffer

So I'm looking for advice on how to protect myself on the trail. Most of what I find is for downhillers, and that's not my thing. don't want bulky, don't want plastic shells, don't want constrictive, hot, non movable hockey pads, don't want $400 in bulletproof chest padding...

What do other folks out there use?

Help!
If you ever make your way the next state over (East)...schwing by Topeka and I'll take you on some tame stuff

Are you beating yourself up from falling over and not clipping out in time? Maybe you should practice on some easier terrain until you get your bearings.

Other than that, I agree with Zephyr.