View Single Post
Old 03-23-09, 05:42 PM
jtarver
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Economic Crisis and CL

I, like most people here use Craigslist for bike related endeavors. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the local bike market. Well, let's just say, I know what people a asking (not getting) for bikes and what I am able to sell them for. As of late CL went through some wild ups and downs. People were asking a lot and getting it, then asking a lot followed by a few price reductions, then asking a fair price and getting it, asking a fair price followed by a few price reductions...you get the picture. Anyway, locally, the bottom seems to have dropped out of the fixed gear market. I mean people are liquidating Bianchi Pistas like mad, wheelsets, parts, bags, everything is for sale at realistic prices(yes, some cats still think they're gonna get all the money they put into converting or upgrading bikes). Anyway, I wonder what factors are at work here. Some possibilities: Economic crisis, tax time, spring break, people finally coming to terms with the fact that the $800 bike they bought to look cool is just mocking them sitting in the living room unridden after the first week. Just wondering if the FG thing seems to be falling off amongst the...,well let's just say less than dedicated types...