Old 03-23-09, 10:25 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pikamookie
Hi guys! I've been researching like crazy all weekend trying to get my feet wet in the world of folders and I'm excited about the prospect of getting one for myself.

A little background: I'm a 25 yo grad student (5'4", 115lbs) living in IL (so flatlands). I need something to bring me to and from libraries and town centers just a few miles away. Nothing beyond 10mi I would say. I'm pretty new to the biking world so I don't need the newest, craziest ride. I just want something that comfy and fun.

My main reasons for getting a folder is storage space. I live in a tiny apt and I don't want to leave my bike locked up outside overnight.

Couple questions:
1. For people who have full size folders, when you all bike to a cafe or a library, do you leave it locked up outside? Is it folded when you lock it up? The only reason I ask is because my main destination will be libraries and I'm worries they won't allow me to bring my bike in with me.
2. I'm a newbie when it comes to bikes so would I notice and/or care about the comfort difference between a 16" and 20" ride? I'm tempted to get a 16" but I'm worried when I take it out on the weekends just for fun I'll regret it. I would try these rides out in person, but the bike stores I've called locally don't carry folders.
Welcome!

You have come to the right place when it comes to a bike that is capable of doing all you have requested or required above. I have 3 bikes in a small room. But since they are folding ones, they disappear inside, underneath, or behind something so my living place does not look like a bike shop!

To address your concerns above, here are my answers:

1. I never leave my smaller (16" wheel) folding bikes or my larger (20" wheel) one outside with any type of lock ever-especially at libraries or schools. These destinations are "bike theft magnets" and seem to attract the most unwanted attention. I always carry a cover for my bikes. You can see an example on my Flickr site at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/world-o...7601331380862/

I have another version just completed. If you like to see it, I will Private Mail you a photo of it at your request. This slipcover is another more recent version of the bike bag pictured above. When I cover the bikes in any fashion, I never been stopped at any door by anyone for the past 5 years that I have been using folding bikes.

2. I have both 16" and 20" bikes. I have found that it depends on what suspension system (if any) you have installed on the bike along with the right saddle. I always use a saddle that is a bit wider at the end with springs on the bottom. These saddles have very thin padding as the springs offer the best protection against bumps and vibrations felt on the road. For photos of these saddles, see my Flickr sites listed below. The best bike I own-the Brompton- seems to have the best combination that type of saddle (cruiser bike style) plus it's own rubber cone suspension system actually originally designed for the classic 1960s Mini Cooper car.

Now for a downside of folding bikes. They are not as available as a more popular bike like a Mountain or a Road bike. So it might be a bit harder to find one. But don't despair, you have many options depending on what brand or make you choose to look at. I do recommend that you go to a dealer that carries the bike you want (there should be dealers in larger communities in your state) and test ride one or two. Just be aware that most dealer no matter where they are located, only carry one or two brands or makes. So be prepared to travel to at least a couple of places before purchase. But you will be rewarded with a bike that you will be happy with (and not stolen) for many years to come.