Old 03-26-09, 07:06 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ginsoakedboy
I'm waiting to see how you feel about your choice after everybody advised you to go the other way. Just seems odd that someone would post an inquiry asking about people's experiences and preferences between products, and then go ahead and choose the one that nobody recommended. You must be one of those contrarians.
I guess the simple reason would be that the Dia Compe levers happened to come up on ebay at that time.

Also, before this thread I had only heard good things about 287Vs.

I also believed that the 287Vs had adjustable cable pull or leverage - however, looking at them, if they have, I can't find it.

In this case I'm more curious than contrary, it seems odd that 287Vs have - as you have pointed out
- had such a lukewarm response.

If more responses had been - "I own both and the Tektro levers are better because.........." then I would perhaps have been more cautious.

Comparing them to my shimano STIs the 287Vs don't feel skinny and 80s they feel properly ergonomic, while the STI levers are also ok, not much different just fatter because of the mechanism in them.

I'm going to buy the Tektros as well and compare them - one advantage the 287Vs have is that there is a r/h Tandem version that can accept two cables (I have a tandem that I am updating).

I hope that explains why I asked for opinions and then apparently ignored them

In fact I have taken the advice offered because I'm buying the Tektro levers as well - when I had never heard of them until they were recommended on an earlier thread.

I'd rather try both and keep the ones I like best than not be sure I've got the best ones for me.

Also, I think the reason why the Dia Compe levers (other than the pair I have) come with adjustable noodles is because standard straight bar levers have adjusters and drop bar levers don't - so with standard noodles you have no fine brake adjustment.

The other noodle-like thing I think fits into the lever and sticks out from under the bartape so you can remove the bars without having to remove the tape to free the cable - ie. you can leave the cable outer on the bike, rather than it having to come off with the bars.

Now, I just have to find some fairly traditonal drop bars with the right curves and width, at the right price.....