Old 03-26-09, 07:54 PM
canflyboy 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My New Track Bike Geometry seems off - need comments

This past Winter I had the chance to do some indoor track riding at FCV. All riding was done on rentals (KHS). I liked it so much I ordered a track bike and it just came in.

For sizing, I compared my two road bike dimensions and talked with a tech from the company and he suggested a certain size. I though of going the next size down, but this is what the tech suggested and yes the geometry dimensions are close to my road bikes.

The odd feeling I'm getting is when I put my hands on the drops. The bike has track handle bars. They have more reach and more drop, so when I'm in the drops, my body feels really stretched out compared to my road bikes. If I ride on the top bar though, everything seems OK but obviously I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the top bar.

Questions: Is this "stretched" geometry something typical with track bikes? Bike uses 74 degree seat and head tube geometry.

Is the bike just too big? I can still order the next size down. Am I wrong in comparing my "road" riding geometry to a track bike? Should they be similar or a noticable difference?

The only way I can make them similar is to get either a real short stem or get rid of the track bars for road bars.

Mostly do recreational riding at FCV and in the summer will give Bloomer Park in Michigan a go. May start some enty level racing next season.

Thanks

canflyboy

1970 Raleigh Tourist, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1984 Miele Road Bike SS, 1985 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Opus Avro 29er, Jamis Sonik, Donnelly G//C , Bianchi San Jose, Cervelo SL-SLC, Cervelo S3 Di2, Ridley X-Bow Commuter and a wife that loves me!