View Single Post
Old 03-27-09, 09:43 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year my husband's sales commissions were so bad that we lost our company-sponsored healthcare, one of the few reasons he stayed working for a large insurer (almost 20 years). He was already a "disgruntled employee" - the company was constantly pushing to sell products that weren't suited to his clients and he fought hard not to compromise his ethics. We also run a small retail business.

Two years ago, the local historical site offered my husband a part-time weekend gig making sure nobody walked off with any of the "exhibits" from the barracks and storehouse buildings, and answer questions about the site. Last year the site offered him a "seasonal" job working nearly full-time in the spring/summer/early fall as their "historical interpreter".

We discussed the pros and cons of him taking the job (and actually there were more cons than pros at the time), and decided that opportunities like this didn't get offered twice -- and he could always return to insurance sales if this didn't pan out. Frankly, I doubt if he'll ever return to insurance sales...

He's much happier now, more relaxed. He's lost weight and his BP is down. He doesn't grumble about going to work. He still has time for his other business; the site works around his schedule. His medical plan now covers only our daughter and him -- and has a high deductible and no prescription plan; I've got other coverage for myself.

We're making it. We haven't had to make large sacrifices (yet), and hopefully with diligence we'll continue to live within our means comfortably. The bills are being paid on time, nobody's going hungry, and the only large debt we have is our house.