View Single Post
Old 03-27-09, 12:13 PM
mlts22 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The advantage of USB is that it is simple to use and requires no TCP/IP stack, network drivers, CIFS shares. Just plug in and go. Eventually I'd like to offer eSATA for a boot disk.

Here are the advantages of such a configuration that uses a LVM RAID 5 backend:

1: I can implement change logging technology where I can make a disk image, have any changes to a log partition and then on command, dump all changes, reverting back to the original partition. This is on a sector basis, below the filesystem. The advantage of this is that a machine can have a boot disk for testing to be reverted back, and no matter how bad the malware infection is, it is revertable no matter what.

2: I can mount the machine's filesystem read-only from the Linux side, make a snapshot using the LVM functionality while the machine is running, and do full or incremental backups of the filesystem, completely independant of the machine itself.

3: I can implement a dm-crypt loopback encrypted layer that uses a cryptographic tokens and a PINpad on the physical box. The PC that is plugged into it requires no drivers and doesn't care about the encryption as long as it can see the drive image.

4: I can implement a UFS filesystem layer so all writes are kept permanently and cryptographically signed with a timestamp by the machine. This allows me to create an external box that can be used for archiving of files for long term compliance to SOX and HIPAA.