I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipSeal
To be seen at a distance, and securing the motorist's attention, is precisely why taking the lane makes this situation safer.

A distracted or speeding motorist will unconsciously dismiss a shoulder or fog line cyclist as a hazard because he is "out of the way". But when the cyclist is in the middle of the lane (In the way) the motorist's subconscious throws a red flag and draws full attention to "the hazard".

A centered in the lane cyclist is instantaneously understood to be a slow moving obstruction that must be contended with- either slowing to his speed or altering the path of the car. A large object in their lane is never overlooked.

On high speed roads, being in the way is safer than being out of the way.
Do you have an advanced degree in pop psychology or did you just make up your findings all by yourself?

Are you seriously claiming that a cyclist centered in the lane on any high speed highway is at less risk of a catastrophic event than a cyclist riding on a paved parallel shoulder of the same road?

Does this incredible premise (presumably based on your assumptions stated above) apply at all hours, all weather conditions, and at any volume of traffic? If not, what conditions have to be met for your claim to be "true"?