Old 03-29-09, 07:37 AM
Paul S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a different bike -- but I have the same question:- "what type of Raleigh folder is this?"

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to attach photos of my bike to this post. However, you can see the exactly the same type of bike on the Fixed Gear Gallery ("FGG") website at
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2009...BrianChasm.htm

I initially thought that my bike was a true Raleigh 20 because it is branded 'Raleigh Stowaway'. However, it doesn't look like any of the Raleigh 20s that I have seen on the web. The frame and the hinge mechanism are quite different.

My bike has a three speed internally geared Shimano hub (not Sturmey Archer). It also has Raleigh branded saddle and tyres.

I live in Perth, Western Australia, and the bike was a local 'find'. Because Perth is so far from the British and US bike markets, and because so many of the local bikes come from Asia, I now believe that my bike may be a Chinese or Taiwanese 20 inch folder that has been branded 'Raleigh' under some license arrangement.

In any event, can someone please tell me what my bike is?

I'm particularly interested in whether I will have to contend with the bottom bracket and head-set issues that are discussed on Sheldon Brown's Raleigh 20 web-page in the event I decide to 'hot-rod' it.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Paul S; 03-29-09 at 07:41 AM.