Old 03-30-09, 11:04 AM
sunset1123

Bikes: Giant TCX 1 touring conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hnsq wrote:

"I don't claim to experience what you call Zen, but I do know monks spend around 18 hours a day for most of their lives meditating for a chance at experiencing enlightenment, and you claim to experience it in a bike ride?

what arrogance... "

---

That is not an accurate statement. Zen Buddhism has both a well established monastic community as well as a lay community. One need not take up the robe and shave one's head to be a practitioner of Zen Buddhism. The world is full of many five precepters, both wise and foolish.

Also, there are many experiences other than the attainment of nirvana that occur during zen practice. Dhyana is a sanskrit word meaning 'meditation' which can lead to the experience of Samhadi -- another sanskrit word referring to a mystical state uniting subject, verb and object -- ie: there ceases to be me sitting here meditating, there is only meditating. There is only this moment.

Some people mistakenly identify these lesser mystical experiences with ultimate attainment, but this is only their desire-mind trying to make more out of something than there actually is.

I might recommend you inquire of the Sangha in your area if you really desire clarification on these points. Shouting 'arrogance' from a place of ignorance is not usually conducive to furthering one's understanding.

Peace.