View Single Post
Old 03-30-09, 04:00 PM
CollectiveInk

Bikes: Bianchi via Nirone 7 / Trek Marlin 5 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figure I can officially post to this thread now!

I'm definitely a clyde (6'1" 255lbs) but decided to try a Crit and Road race this past weekend. My son's team was going for the Tour de Tuscaloosa in Alabama. I figured I'd driven all that way, why not. I entered in the mens cat5 / 35+.

Crit: Not really knowing what to expect, other than seeing the juniors racing prior, I started in the back of the pack. I managed to hang on through the start, first corner, the main downhill, turn #2, the first stretch that started to climb (the pack was really strung out by now), turn #3 into the first steeper climb (not massive, just steeper) and that's when they lost me. I got lapped only once, and managed enough strength to grab onto a group of 4 for the final lap. But that was mainly to try and stay out of the wind. Wind can be brutal when your body is shaped more like a sail than a bean pole!

Came in dead last, but I was just happy to have finished.

Road Race: Started Sunday morning. It was 42, overcast w/ 30mph wind gusts. Not so much fun. I didn't pack knee wamers, tights or anything other than a baselayer, jersey, bib shorts and a very thin windbreaker. (Well, I did have arm warmers, but loaned them to one of our juniors.) It was a 10 mile circuit race with my group doing 3 laps. We went out after the Pro/1/2 and Cat 5 open.
Max Grade: 13%
Avg Grade: 7% (I think, I'll have to check the computer)
Max Speed: 41mph
Avg Speed: 15.3mph
Total Climb: 2,100 ft (I think, again = computer)

The first lap killed me. I seriously didn't think I'd make it around. I've done 30+ miles many times, but trying to stay with a group that's faster than you, not so much. Lap #2 was much better. Muscles were warmed up better, knew the course, etc. Got lapped by the Pro/1/2s who started out 5 mins before me. Got passed by the Pro women (not a bad view being lapped by them though ) Passed by the 14 year old+ juniors, but never my own group. Lap #3 was torture. I was worn out, cold and hurting, but I finished. And actually, I didn't come in dead last! I was dead, but not last.

All in all it was fun. I think I'll try a few more in the future. I did realize I was riding around with the equivalent of a small child strapped to my stomach (60+ extra lbs.) though. I did try and have fun, so with various marshalls or organizers I'd say things like:

"Am I done yet?" (first lap out)
"I'm not as aerodynamic as I think I am"
"This is a skinny person's sport!"
"I'll trade you bikes" (to a traffic cop sitting on his motorcycle)
"This is for all the fat guys out there!" (To a course photographer-himself overweight-taking my picture.)