View Single Post
Old 01-24-05, 08:17 AM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started allowing my son to ride on the street when he was 10 (last year) once I felt he was skilled enough to ride with traffic. Prior to that, he rode exclusively on sidewalks while I rode beside him on the road. Three years ago (when he was 8) he was hit by a pickup going too fast out of an alley (fortunately he was not seriously hurt). He was not at fault in that instance: the driver was. It could just as easily been a mother pushing a stroller that was hit by that idiot. Sidewalks are dangerous to be riding on, but they are less dangerous for kids than busy city streets like we have. I impress upon him the need to be aware, constantly vigilant for potential dangers and aggressive/defensive when necessary, yet considerate when riding. In my opinion, there are few logical reasons for adults to ever ride on the sidewalk and I make a point of avoiding them unless absolutely necessary. If there are pedestrians, I get off and walk it. More bike lanes would reduce the number of ignorant, reckless and inconsiderate sidewalk cyclists and those that insist on riding on the sidewalk should be fined the same as if a motorist was driving on the sidewalk. Any magazine displaying what is tantamount to promoting sidewalk riding is being irresponsible and should be held accountable.