View Single Post
Old 03-31-09, 11:27 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by micahjg
thank you Relyt.. i'm doing this to be cost effective, not out of any special attachment to my old trek. i'm in Portland OR so theres plenty of our LBS with extra parts laying around. anyone know how much it might be to get a wheel relaced with a new(er) hub? and also, someone posted more cost effective with 8 speed.. is that because the parts are cheaper because they are older? from what i understand, the spacing is 130mm either way, 8, 9, or 10 speed, so clearance isn't an issue.

oppinions: is this a silly project on this old of a bike? i dont have the money to go get a fancy-schmancy new bike, hence the retro steal frame. however, when i pass people on their $1500 frame with my $200 old steel lugged bike, there is a certain feeling of accomplishment
It might be silly if you're doing it to be cost effective. How much money do you think you could get for your Trek and how much would it cost you to get a used bike with 8 or 9 speeds in the rear?

I bought a year and half old Specialized Allez for $350. I got $175 for a 30 year old nothing special Peugeot. Your '85 Trek is a much better bike.

If you're doing it partly for the fun of it, then the silliness factor goes down.