View Single Post
Old 03-31-09, 02:25 PM
Tyrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My company is currently stalled on getting this implemented. Looking for guidance from anyone who has had success. Here's a letter I lifted from the LinkedIn group "Bicycle to Work!":

Subject: H.R.1424 SEC. 211. TRANSPORTATION FRINGE BENEFIT TO BICYCLE COMMUTERS.

The purpose of this memo is to request the support of the university in implementing the above listed Bicycle Commuter Act, signed into law and effective January 1, 2009. Eligible employees (a portion of whom are listed above) at (WORKPLACE) would like to receive this benefit. The process of setting up benefits for bicycle commuters could be similar for employees who take public transportation or park on campus as detailed on pages 19-20 of IRS Document Publication 15-B: Employer’s Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits - For use in 2009. This could increase the number of employees who receive considerable relief for their commuting or parking costs.
Bicycle Commuter Tax Provision: Frequently Asked Questions can be found here: http://www.bikeleague.org/news/100708faq.php
Thank you for your time and we look forward to discussing this further. Please contact (MY NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION).