View Single Post
Old 04-03-09, 08:25 AM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
It is all based on speed differential. If every road in the world had a perfect surface and at least 18" of clean shoulder to give cyclists a place to move to when cars can't get past in the lane, there would be very few conflicts between cars and bikes. I think most cyclists are courteous enough to move onto a nice shoulder when necessary. Some would prefer to stay on the shoulder. Most, if not all of the conflicts I have with cars and trucks comes when I am stuck in the lane with fast traffic wanting to get around me.
Yes, I move to the R to let cars pass but on most roads you are stuck in the lane. but you should not feel you are stuck or pannick and that is my point. To be safe, you should be in a lane and not poping in and out of parked cars and traffic. People yell things like "stay on the sidewalk" and drive at you in a unsafe way as if they think that is right.