ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Youngin
Just finished this!

The idea was to only use gift cards to pay for the bike. I messed up with a few things and some things costed waay more than expected. Still, it should be more reliable now. It was falling apart but I didn't want to see it go. Also seemed like it would be fun to ride around off road as I am more road oriented. Here's how it went:

Bought items:
-SS chainring bolts
-SS chainring bolts (other one's weren't for SS? Store charged $15!)
-New chain - broke my thumb when I had a chain failure, didn't want to risk that again
-Conversion kit - (spacersI didn't really want to buy this, everytime I come out of that store I feel forced to buy something by the staff. I wanted to use spacers from old cassettes and derailleurs, but this will work I guess.
-Brake wires
- $15 Ritchey Front wheel - last one chipped when removing a tire
- Bearings for the BB, replacing the cages with these made an incredible difference for super cheap!
- $10 Ritchey Comp bars
- Bottle cages - My dad insisted, white and pink just didn't look right. $3 ea.

Had (that made it onto the final build)
-Frame/fork/stem/brake pads/housing/rear wheel and tire/ STI shifters (took off shifting part for brake levers)/saddle/crankset/seatpost/pedals/lights/grips

Got at the bike junkyard (picked up and found a lot of good stuff!)
- V Brakes off a toddler bike and another wallyworld bike
- New front tire (picked up a few back up alloy wheels too!)

Weight: 25.5 pounds. Could be a lot lighter if I had spent my money more wisely, but for being a fun bike, I think it'll be plenty light.

Pic:

Looking forward to riding it as soon as hand therapy is done! Thanks for reading,

Chris

Very interesting, but you don't need to run the new front brake housing through the stem with linear pull brakes. That was for an older cantilever brake setup.