Old 04-06-09, 10:34 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I have a bud, about 8 years ago at age 65 decided to hang with a local race team from an LBS. He left the reststop as the team was getting ready. He said "i'll try to keep up with these young guys. They laughed as he rode an old garage sale bike, old white helmet looked carved from an old styro ice chest, bar tape hanging from his bars. He took off with the group of nearly 15 riders in ,matching uniforms as they laughed at him.

15 miles down the road Gina and I pull up on our tandem as the team was stopped at a small park for water. I asked one of the guys,"so where is the old man?". They just looked at me with awe on their faces," dude, that old guy dropped our arses like hot potatoes". We just laughed and headed on.

My bud was old but could average 24 mph on his oldie but goodie!
I'm not sure what embarrassed them more: being blown away by a 65 yr-old or being dusted by one that looked like he belonged on a trike?

My pop is 67 and he leaves me behind pretty regular-like, but, at least, he has solid equipment. He spent the winter down in Florida embarrassing hot-shots who rode in pace lines. I don't think he averages 24, but he's not too far off of it.

Some of those guys are just in a different league. I can hold 18 mph avg for a few hours on the flat, but usually slide back to 15 or so over any kind of distance.