View Single Post
Old 04-06-09, 12:56 PM
czexanbmxn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tex_Arcana
I probably looked in the same places you did and there was no joy, especially since I only saw information for GASP and not Houston BASH. That's the ride I'd be interested in. I guess I'll just have to ride to Shiner on my own sometime. I'll make it my Shiner Pilgrimage. Is there a better more bike friendly route then 90 A to get there?
I always wanted to do that ride when I lived in Katy. Now my folks have moved back to the old family place near Moravia, about 20 minutes from Shiner. I'd thought about various routes from Katy to Moravia and the surrounding area, but never ended up riding any of them. Going down US-90(and the I-10 feeder in some places) you could make it to Columbus, where you could pick up FM 2434 on the other side of town, take that to FM 155, south of Weimar.

From there, there are many options. FM 532 all the way out to Moulton, then south to Shiner on TX 95. Or FM 532 to FM 957 south to Hallettsville, then US-90A to Shiner. Then there's always FM 532 to Komensky, FM 1295 south to Witting, then FM 340 out to TX 95, 95 to Shiner. And depending on which county roads in the vicinity have been paved over, there may be more options for shortcuts and/or scenic routes. I know of some great backroads out there, but many are gravel.

Another option is US-90 all the way to Schulenburg, where you could take US-77 to FM 532 or Hallettsville. Or you could take FM 957 to FM 532. Or 90 to Flatonia and hop on TX 95... I've been going between Katy and Moravia and the towns around it for most of my life, so I've seen a road or two around there.

I've done a bit of riding in the Hallettsville-Moravia-Moulton-Flatonia-Witting area and it's nice riding out there. There's a ride in Schulenburg the same day as the GASP, I'm not sure of the routes. http://rmcortez05.googlepages.com/steeplechasebikeride

-Chase