Old 01-26-05, 11:24 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
I mean haven't we all played these guys in our heads as we've climbed some redicules climb or sprinted with our buddies?!
Absolutely. I've thought that Phil Liggett could make a killing by recording personalized "broadcasts" tailored to the individual's own scenarios. "My goodness me, Joey Bagodonuts (or insert your name here) has just laid the hammer down on Heart Attack Hill. He's making Joey Schmuckatelli suffer like he has never suffered before. Schmuckatelli is certainly resenting that extra pint of beer that he had at the pub last night..."

When I call World Cycling Productions, they use the audios from their race videos as hold music. I can listen to Phil and Paul while I wait to talk to someone, and I have actually been disappointed when they pick up - I was enjoying the race too much!!! That's clearly a testimony to their stellar ability, when you resent being taken off of hold.

It was said in the late '80's that the three most popular people in American cycling were Greg LeMond, Andy Hampsten, and Phil Liggett. I still remember a race where Phil and Paul were talking about a German pro on T-Mobile (Telecom) who had done the Hawaii Ironman. Udo Bolts, perhaps? Any way, Phil said that the German probably wished that the bicycling segment was the last leg of the race. Phil added that nobody would have to worry about him (Phil) taking up triathlon because he couldn't swim. Paul noted that shouldn't be a problem, as Phil's fans seem to think he could walk on water! That's the best one-liner I've heard from him yet!