Lets_roll

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Be careful about just going by sizes... I have 3 bikes - arguably they are all

As important as the standover is, the reach is even more so. If you can't comfortably reach your brakes and the handlebar, doesn't matter if the height is good.

Never buy a bike, if possible, without riding it first. Don't assume one brand to the next is the same. It's not. There is nothing wrong with an inexpensive bike but if you can get good one, used, that is better. Also what do you plan on doing with the bike? If riding on trail/off road, it is better to get a inexpensive hardtail or rigid bike than cheap full suspension. Look for a good frame, and then plan on upgrading the components when you can.

+1 exactly
* If you outgrow the bike or realize later your too big, your kinda screwed.
* I'de rather have a rigid bike than one with crappy forks.

You CAN & WILL find a nice deal on a USED bike if you'll have patience. I've seen bikes a year old on craigslist for dirt cheap.Learn as much as you can about bikes, knowledge & patience is the best advice I can give you, and on a budget it's a must. Just be ready ti act fast on those super deals cuz they go quick.

I'de look for a used hardrock or rockhopper. I bought a used 2004 rockhopper for $50. I did'nt need it because I've got other bikes, but some kid put it CL and I couldn't resist.