Old 04-08-09, 12:12 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supertj
Topic subject may sound serious more then what really happenned to me today. Riding along 347 (aka Nesconset Hwy) eastbound near intersection of Lake Ave/Gibbs Pond rd.
I grew up on LI and used to live on 347. I once had a hard-boiled egg thrown at me while riding on 347; it hit me on the leg and hurt like hell.

Originally Posted by supertj
I know you were being sarcastic when you said "minor" and there is a good chance the police would think so too. However, this princinct I went to said they will put out an arrest for the guy if I had the plate number. Its not a minor crime. If the police officer thought so, I'm sure I can make my case and change his mind. If I had lost my balance, I could've fallen in the way of traffic and the cars behind him may not be able to dodge me quick enough. I phrased it as being "assaulted" when I approached the officer. I mentioned the speed the guy was driving at and my speed. You simply do not attack someone while moving.
I can't find the case now but a woman here in the Carolinas was charged with attempted murder for throwing a drink into the open window of another driver during a road-rage incident. There was a lot of outcry against the charge as being excessive, but the DA on the case made the argument that distracting or injuring a driver at 55, 65 mph is extremely dangerous and could easily result in death. Sure, a cyclist isn't going that fast, but we all know just how dangerous it can be when something like this occurs on a bike. Besides the obvious risk of falling, what if the surprise made you veer into traffic?