gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
I don't recall anyone ever saying they thought their transportation costs increased when they went car free. My transportation costs would have to increase dramatically to compensate for the fun and health and extra time benefits of car free living. How about it car-free people who mad the switch from car culture to car free? Are any of you willing to assert that your transportation costs have increased so much that you want to go back to car culture? Lets hear how it happened. Several people have posted that they thought they had more money in the bank after ditching a car.
For me, it's quite simple. Our family has one car in the driveway nowadays. Prior to 2005 we kept 2, one of which I used for my personal transportation. The way we afforded to do this was to pay off one car, then buy another and pay it off. We always had a car payment.

Nowadays, I am car payment free. My last payment was $299 a month. Nowadays it's $0. My current wheels -- all two of them -- cost me $60 and I put another $60 into parts. I figure I won't put another $60 into it for a few more months.

So $60 every 3 months vs. $299 a month. All this ignoring gas, insurance, repairs....

Just who says their carfree transportation costs increased??