Thasiet
Acetone Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
Very nice bike.

Can you tell me if the Kelly Take Offs allow the shifters to be operated from the drops?
Yes. Because dt shifters are keyed to a square post, you could theoretically set them up with one of four different sweeps. Practically speaking, two of those are useless, one can be used for shifting from the tops, and one for shifting from the drops. Mine are set up to shift from the drops, and the ergonomics of this are terrific. I like that shifting against the spring is done by pushing with my thumb while my other fingers hold the bar. This makes front shifting to the big ring more comfortable than STI, where I always found the sweep to be too much for my short fingers. I've only used older 9-sp STI, I know the newer ones have a shorter throw and more of an angled sweep to improve those ergonomics, but I bet the takeoffs still have them beat by a mile. On the right, I can push all the way in with my thumb to quickly dump all my gears when I hit a big hill I wasn't ready for.

To shift with the spring, while the lever is far forward (big ring or big cog) I rotate my hand around the drop to whack the lever with my middle and index fingers. As the levers sweep more back towards me, I switch to nudging it along from the back with my second thumb joint. This calluses on long rides but otherwise works excellently.

Check out the link in my post above for more detail.