Old 05-10-01, 08:01 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Ba-Dg-Er
Why will a society that encourages laziness suddenly decide to not be lazy anymore? Our towns are too big and spread out and our communities are not supportive enough to encouarge bicycling, except for the few serious cyclists out there.
The idea that more and more people switch from cars to human power is a wonderfully simple solution to the problem of automobile overcrowding. The possibility of the continued spread of asphalt and smog is too terrible
to think about.

The "revolution" has to begin in people's minds. First, people have to see the problem as it really is. Then, the human power solution becomes more obvious. (This is something car makers do not want: for people to see the obvious.) Human powered transport is better than driving. Better for people, better for their children, better for their communities, better for the world.

The more people that demonstrate the personal benefits of travel by human power, the more people will be "won over." Besides, even if the "motoring Goliath" is not slain, each person who switches to human power will benefit personally with a higher quality of life. That alone makes the effort worthwhile. And even if I convince no one, I will still reap the benefits for myself.

So there's nothing at all to lose!