Old 01-29-05, 07:24 AM
-=solewheelin

Bikes: M- 2000 Trek 7000zx ____ R- 1990 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powers2b
Useless argument but here is my Opinion.
1. Always keep the best ruber on the front.
2. You will have more control with better tread on the front for the reasons stated above (steering, control, stopping).

I have tried various combinations and this is what I have found to work best.
Enjoy
wow, i really dont understand some people.
Powers, You may have worn out quite a few tires in your day, but i dont understand the logic here.
Better rubber up front (what? quality?), YES, no doubt about that because the tire lasts 2-3 times longer than the rear (front brake shoes do too)
and you get a "feel" for the front moreso than you do the rear because, well your hands control it.
So that deserves a better quality rubber.
So yes, a better quality, more solid tire is what you want in the front.
But thats not what this thread is about.

The CX tire in the rear will make your ride more comfortable.
Treads or knobs on a CX tire in no way help you steer safer, they give you less contact on the road but a wider surface to ride with, the reason they grab better is because your getting vertical contact from the tire as well, resulting in hook up (ideal for the rear wheel more-so).
But for stopping? nope.
youre getting too technical if you think a better rubber actually makes that much of a difference in your stopping. Its the terrain that judges your breaking ability aside from your brakes and timing.. any tires will stop on a dime, as long as you apply your front and rear brake in the right way.

if your going down a steep hill, say in Seattle down Cherry and 2nd, you:
1- sit far back to put weight over the rear wheel,
2- feather the front brake while breaking 90% with the rear.
3- too much front brake and you will go over the bars, even on a flat.

In no way will any difference in rubber quality help you on ice, its nieve to think such a thing. And tread wont help you stop, it lets more air pass between road to tire contact, therefore less surface contact to width ratio. (Assuming you have your tires at a good pressure).
You need to roll over snow/ice, not rely on tread to help you. And try to avoid riding on ice unless you have studded tires. end of story.