Old 04-20-09, 07:34 PM
delver
Toeclips are real

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What model is it? I did my first bike tour five years ago on a 1977 Motobecane Grand Touring. thats more of a sports touring model, no eyelets for racks so I used p-clamps for the blackburn knockoff rear rack. It has no cantis, but rather good old Wienmann centerpulls. put some decent brake pads on it. Some elbow grease on it and I was off across the mountains with roadbike gearing and centerpulls. I lived and decided I liked it. still have the bike and still sometimes grab it for a overnighter or casual multi day ride. I have lived through braking at 50+ mph downhill.

If you are only camping, not long distance touring you may not really need front racks. by packing light I got away with just rear bags, and that was in the winter. I have put blackburn lowriders on several bikes using U bolts in place of rack mounts. Surely it has eyelets for fenders.

Lots of folks rode those old bikes on long tours back when they were new. They worked even without cantilever or U brakes. The only real problem can arise when something breaks or wears out, like the BB. Thats when it gets hard to find the right parts, since some of the threadings can be different.

I tour on 27" tires all the time, there are some pretty good tires in that size, not a huge selection, but enough. You may have to settle for a max 1 1/4 width though.