View Single Post
Old 04-22-09, 06:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by nekohime
The Moulton has the most ridiculous kickstand EVER.
Ridiculous, maybe... but cool and original! So far, so good! If you have any temptation to get rid of it, I want it. Really, I do! But my unsolicited advice is to keep it.

The name of the original owner. I have no idea what those numbers mean.

Those are his phone numbers; ever wonder why the numbers on the phone have letters on them? In the old days phone numbers were four numbers. Then they introduced exchanges that were the name of the town followed by one digit, like an early pre-zip postal code; Joe presumably lived in Beverly Hills 7, so his phone number at that time might have been 7-0970. A little later, when area codes were introduced, the exchange system was adapted to two letters, abbreviating a word that supposedly made the whole thangie easier to remember. These numbers translate to 277-0970 and 837-3804.

Beverly Hills Bike License. I'd like to keep it on, but of course, it will be removed by the sandblasting. Is there any way to save it?)]
You might be able to get it off with the combination of solvent and a razor blade... any museum conservator worth his salt could do it, no problem. But... you might consider not sandblasting the bike at all... match the original color as well as possible, clean off the rust, repaint parts as necessary. Post this bike over at Classic and Vintage, see what they tell you there! It's really nice, by the way. Really nice. You go, girl.

________
edit:

The four speed hub has a date code on it. Something like " 65 4 ", for example (April 1965). The bike was presumably made within a few months after that date code. Of course the hub could be a later replacement, but the odds are good that it's original.

Last edited by rhm; 04-22-09 at 08:17 AM.