Old 04-23-09, 09:28 AM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking real close at the Smoke before going the "30 year old beater" route. The 2009's have 29" wheels, which are very nice for speed and comfort with a road tread. (I think the Dews have these, too.)

It won't have the same level of components on the Dew Drop. One review claims its bottom bracket is a cup-and-cone deal rather than sealed cartridge, the pedals are plastic and those flat bars could get real old on long slogs. (Drops, risers or city-bike style bars are cheap and easy upgrades. Bar ends are cheaper and easier.)

It has a seriously serious steel mountain-bike-style frame, nigh indestructible, and makes a great platform for upgrades. It has fenders installed and aligned, a great seat, and is a well-sorted ride for daily commutes right out of the box. This is a bike you can invest in - and for the money, upgrading the Smoke as time and budget allow makes more sense to me than buying a more expensive ride that will still need to have work done to make it a commuter. (Upgrade the pedals and bars, first.)

But, test-ride it and see if you like it first. Test ride a few other styles, too.