View Single Post
Old 04-24-09, 09:12 AM
KitN
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're okay.

Yesterday I had a very close left-hook. I was on Adams Street which runs into the Brooklyn Bridge. The guy didn't signal. He was in a very low black sports car. I had the green light and was the only vehicle crossing the intersection at the moment. (GAP EFFECT!) He decided to gun it. I had to slam on my breaks hard and shift me weight back a bit to stop in time. He stopped a few feet from my bike. I yelled at him and kept riding.

Later that day a white SUV tried to slowly right hook me. We were coming to a red light. I'm riding as far right as I safely can. There was an empty space along the curb for a parked car but this asshat thought he could pull in ahead of me, magically, going 3 miles an hour, to get in line at the light then peel out in front of the other drivers waiting next to him: this is a common jerl move by a lot of motorists here. They don't want to wait their turn behind a car at the light so they pull into a PARKING SPOT at the light then floor the gas pedal and peel out just as the light turns green ahead of the car first in line. It's very dangerous.

Anyway, because he was trying to do this at the last second as I'm approaching and at such close range I had to slam on my breaks, my handlebars hit the right nose of his car and my hand hit the hood. Another 6 inches closer and I would have been under his right front wheel!! I was so freakin' pissed off. I started screaming, "WTF?!? Are you a moron!? Are you trying to kill me!! WTF are you doing!!!???!!!" For this one I was about to call the cops but I wanted to get the heck away from him before he tries to run me down again.

I'm going to save more money and invest in a bike mounted or helmet mounted videocamera. I need it in order to document this sh*t and give it to the cops. Because by the time I pull over in a safe stop to even reach for my cell phone, the car is gone.

Late at night while riding home I sometimes have my cellphone set to 911. Now I think I'll be riding around all the time, day and night, with my phone set to dial 911 with a press of my bluetooth headset. No stopping to pull out my phone. Just press the button and start reporting these crazies.

Last edited by KitN; 04-24-09 at 09:26 AM.