View Single Post
Old 04-25-09, 01:47 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac
Also. I guess I just can't use the search engine like should but what is the biggest difference in bib shorts and regular shorts.

Do the bibs help in any other way that I should be aware of.
Bib shorts are the ones with straps that go over your shoulders; sort of like a pair of built-in suspenders. Regular bicycle shorts stop at the waist, just like any other type of short. Triathlon shorts are a variation on regular bicycle shorts. As TechKnowGN says, they're designed to be used in all three phases of a triathlon: swim, bike, and run. As a result, triathlon shorts have a lighter chamois pad that is designed to dry quickly. I haven't spent much time looking at them, but I think some triathlon shorts have a shorter inseam than normal bike shorts. I'd guess that this might help with swimming or running or something?

Bib shorts are nice because they don't slide down or roll up at the waist, like some bicycle shorts tend to do. I've also noticed that if you're a bit flabby, the bibs will give you some additional support so you don't look quite as big as you actually are