View Single Post
Old 04-26-09, 06:18 AM
joetronic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had pinch flats before, but damn...

Okay, heres the story...

Kenda K-rads, 2.3. Filled to 45psi.

Been filled for a few days, and had a few hard urban rides. Bike was hanging in living room all day friday. Not riding, tire not even touching the ground. Was watch the tube, and dog walks by bike, but doesn't touch it. And BANG!!!!!! just blew. Knocking whole rack over, two bikes falling to the ground.

Why I'm even posting this you say? I could understand that blowout if I was riding. Landing hard or clipped rear wheel on something hard as this is a lower psi, but I wasn't even riding it. And it was ridden pretty damn hard the three days before after checking psi. Why would it just blow out of nowhere? My thinking is the tube was pinched, and the vibrations of the dog walking by (small dog, and stand is stable. Even when I walk by, or get bike off top of rack, it doesn't wiggle) caused the tube to give way. As you can see, the tire separated from the bead, and tore through all layers of the tire. I'm puzzled. Inspected the rim, and that looks fine, so I don't think anything was caused by that.

I did look at the front. And there are places where the tire and bead look like its a weak bond, but that may be all in my head, as I've never noticed that before while changing tubes and whatnot. I do not use anything but tire levers to pull the bead. That would be another explanation for it separating like this if I used a screwdriver or a nail (I know, but I've seen it done) or something like that.