View Single Post
Old 02-01-05, 09:33 AM
Singlespeedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Random observation on disc brakes, but qualifications first.

All 5 of my mountain bikes have disc brakes. I run Hayes, Avid mech., and Martas.

I see a lot of "advice" here about getting disc brakes foor mud, or their superior power. I think this misses the mark.

While it is true that disc brakes have more stopping power, this isn't really the point. Brakes are a governmental system. They govern the amount of stopping power applied to the wheels. Like any governmental system, they are only effective if they have CONTROL over that power. This is why I prefer disc brakes. I can more easily and precisely feather off just the right amount of speed. I can avoid locking up the wheels, especially the rear wheel on very steep sketchy descents. And as a result of this, I can go faster.

Having switched that hardtail from v brakes to avid mechanical discs, I wouldn't agree that v's are better than cable actuated discs.

Originally Posted by jekyllrider
I read the review on Avid cable discs and was impressed, but what happens to the performance when your cable gets dirty and old???
The same thing that happens to v brakke cables, or shifter cables. You clean them or replace them. I find that running full housing on my avid mechs increases their performance over time.

A lot of people shy away from the hydro systems because they are afraid of having to deal with them failing on the trail. In the several years that I have been running hydraulic disc brakes, I have yet to have this be an issue.