View Single Post
Old 04-26-09, 09:37 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I would seek out a steel frame bike with a carbon fiber fork. The bike frame acts as a spring to flex and absorb some road shock. Steel frames are often softer than aluminum frames is the lower price range, the word "spring-ier" comes to mind. A Carbon fiber fork is also a shock absorber. The plastic resin used in these forks absorbs high frequency vibrations that otherwise would reach the hands and arms. Also, avoid bikes with 700cx23 tires. These need rock hard air pressure levels that will reduce ride smoothness.

Try to ride a Jamis Coda Comp: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik..._codacomp.html

If this was a car, it would be a Audi A3. This is a very good quality bike that should help to ride on a frequent basis and should be comfortable over longer rides.

Also be ready to spend a little money on good bike shorts, these are padded and will improve comfort. Padded cycling gloves also improve comfort and control.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-26-09 at 10:47 AM.