Old 04-26-09, 06:58 PM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Big Guy intro and questions??

Hello all new guy here and wanted to say hi and ask for a bit of advice.

Lately my old man (50 & 6'3 350lbs) has been having a lot of weight related health issues (heart attack last year and some blood flow probs in his legs more recently). He is getting medical help now and is expected to be fine and he intends to join a gym and i will be sure to make him stick to it. But seeing my old man with all these troubles is really hitting home for me as i too have killed my share of scales at 6' 285lbs and am 25 years old.

I used to ride quite a bit when i was a kid and young teen (20kms was a normal ride for me, although im sure id be lucky to make it 1km now LOL) but when i was 15 i smashed my knee in a off road accident and never looked back. In fact eventually i took that bike cut it up and put a lawn mower engine in it.

Well now i thinking that biking might be the PERFECT way to help me get myself back into some kinda shape. My knee has long since healed i still love playing in the dirt and i starting to miss the challenge and fun of gettign through a tuff tight trail. I will be joining the gym with my father as well(make it easier for him to stay commited if i am there) but figured the extra would not hurt.

Witch brings me to my question. What bike should i be looking at?

What i want:

-Mountain bike with Front Suspenshion
-good quality bike thats gona last a few years
-durable enuff to handle the added heft of my gut and my inevitable falls (have not ridden a bicycle in 10 years but i do ride motorcycles)
-And somthing thats not gona break the bank so around $300-$600CDN.

So far the bike i most seriously considering is a Trek 820. ITs priced right, is steel framed (stronger?) and comes from what i understand is a very reputable company. But i dont really know a whole lot about the bikes. Even when i did ride i road a big box store special so this will be my first step into a quality bike.

Anyways sorry for the longish post and thanx for a bit more motivation (seeing a big guy section on a bike fourm is very encuraging).

Last edited by TinyBear; 04-27-09 at 01:17 AM.