Old 04-27-09, 10:01 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Bike Month Kickoff at Flushing Meadow Park

Did anybody else attend on Sunday, April 26th?

I'm glad, at least, that it was an incredible day for a bike ride. I pedaled in from Syosset, thinking the event itself would be much bigger and better. While it was great to see all the pimped out bikes, I was very disappointed that there were no manufacturer/vendor exhibits and not a whole lot of anything else, either.

While I am thankful that TA sponsors events like this, I wonder what it would take to really make this kick-off event more of an attraction. I'm sure the organizers have already tried anything that I might be able to come up with, so I'm not suggesting that I know better than anyone. Perhaps what was missing was $4.50 gallon gas?

Anyway, Flushing Meadow Park is always a great place to explore on a bicycle. But on Sunday, April 26, there was something magical about the place -- although I can't pinpoint exactly what it was. I could have circled the lake and the World's Fair grounds ten more times if I didn't need to head to the subway to begin my journey home (round-trip to and from Syosset by bicycle...hell no!). I highly recommend this park for family rides and group rides with people who don't want to work too hard. For more info, go to my site at www.geocities.com/nyrides.