Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Corrections:

Campagnolo Record/NR/SR/Victory/Triomphe/GS sidepulls can lock up under normal circumstances, and most certainly when equipped with Scott-Mathauser (Kool-Stop) pads.

That said, there is absolutely nothing faulty with a brake system that has the power/capability to lock the wheel. The fault lies in the person who fails to modulate said brake correctly under emergency (or any other) circumstances.

Fatal at "racing speeds?" If one is traveling at "racing speeds," I would hope - for their sake - that they understand how to modulate a brake properly in the first place; unlike a child back in 1963 who perceived the existence of a braking system solely as a method to spread burnt rubber on the tarmac.

For that matter, if your logic about locking a wheel had any merit, V-brakes, disk brakes, and dual pivot sidepulls would have been condemned before the designs ever had a chance to leave AutoCAD. The only folks who share your sympathies are the CPSC and inexperienced riders.

-Kurt
That was the only bike I ever had with non-locking brakes. Kool-stop pads weren't available in 63, were they? I only remember the pads were ivory colored new, turning brown with age and softer than black Schwinns. Bear in mind that this was a bike that had 5 rear cogs, downtube shifters, rectangle-profile rims (possibly steel, can't remember) and a leather saddle conditioned with fish oil (will never forget the smell).

Chipseal cited the wrong law, but if he had objected to skidding being a test of brakes' proper function, I would have agreed with him, because skidding is not the fastest way to stop, controlled modulation and continued tire rolling is, and it sure doesn't help you control your bike in most circumstances involving most cyclists.